Live and Local DJs from all nine of our radio stations were involved in all things Iowa State Fair, Aug. 11-21, 2022. Various events with which we were involved just this year include the following:
- Emceeing the Cow Chip Throwing Contest
- Judging the Master Lego Building Contest
- Skyglider Speed Dating
- Promoting and participating in the World Record Cornhole Tournament
- Promoting, attending, and photographing various concerts at the free stages and Grandstand
- Pre-parties for various Grandstand shows from our Des Moines Radio Group booth right outside the Grandstand main gate
- Hosting the Kidfind Headquarters presented by Mercy Children’s Hospital
- Broadcasting live from our booth and all over the Iowa State Fair Grounds
- Sampling and promoting new Fair foods, including their initial unveiling, and choosing the top three new Fair foods of the year
- Tattooing an estimated 3,000 station logo for kids at the Fair
- And so much more!
93.3 KIOA kept very busy at this year’s Iowa State Fair. Luke & Jeriney put tens of thousands of steps on their pedometers as this was Jeriney’s very first Iowa State Fair. In addition to being a part of the new State Fair Food judging event in early August, Jeriney got to spend much of the Fair tasting the best of what the Fair had to offer.
The KIOA Morning Show made their way all around the Fairgrounds, visiting the barns, the campgrounds, the famous Butter Cow, and so much more. Jeriney was even able to convince the life-long Iowan Luke to do something he had never done before: go through the Snakes Alive exhibit! The pair also took part in the successful Guinness World Record-setting cornhole tournament on the final Saturday of the Fair.
In addition to showing Jeriney around the State Fair, Luke made time to host the Lego Masters Competition and finish third in the celebrity cow chip throwing contest.
Ken & Kurt from STAR 102.5’s Skyglider Speed Dating: What better way to find love at the Fair than while on a romantic SkyGlider ride 40 feet in the air? Jana from Urbandale & Pumpkin from Pleasantville gave it their best efforts but decided to pass on a return trip on the SkyGlider… but Autumn & Cameron, both of Des Moines, decided to give it the full round-trip ride. Did they end up smooching in Ye Old Mill?
Kurt went on a quest to try every one of the new 53 foods at the Iowa State Fair; he was successful in 41 of them. His favorite was the Egg-o-Fuego. Karess Carter had the chance to be a judge for the Iowa State Fair Parade for the first time – she can’t wait to do it again next year!
Heather Lee participated in the record-breaking cornhole tournament, and Wickett hosted the Cow Chip Throwing Contest. The last Friday night of the fair was a big night for LAZER as we welcomed Disturbed and Chevelle and got the chance to hang out with LAZER listeners at our booth in front of the Grandstand!